Thursday, May 12, 2011

Summer is all over me

I'm resigning myself to the fact that the Hong Kong summer is upon us. For the last 5 days of so it's been hovering between 29 and 32 degrees and between 80-95% humidity. I've resigned myself to the fact that I will now be sweating continuously until October, unless I stay inside. I'm a fairly hazardous environment to be around in the summer months in Hong Kong. I seem to create my own micro climate and am prone to flash floods. I am a sweaty man at the best of times but I now move into territory previously uncharterred, untouched and generally unwanted. It's a sad life. Normally by about August I am ready to end it all, just to be able to stop sweating so it'll be good to head off to France for this race.

On the down side it makes Long runs really tough as I found at the weekend. I think I'll be spending a lot of my longest sessions now doing even more walking than normal. I seem to blow up after about 3 hours as a rule. On my long run this Sunday, I did 35k and managed to drink 6 litres of sports drink. I know that sounds ridiculous and most literature says that the body can only process around a litre an hour but it has taken me at least another 24 hours to rehydrate.

Also, the heat has really brought the snakes out. I am no expert, but I always think it is safe to assume that snakes in tropical climates can kill you. At elast twice. So I prefer to stay away from them. However, they always seem to be sat in places where you can't actually see them until you're nearly stood on top of the little (or very big) buggers. It happenned to me twice on Sunday, the first time I rounded a sharp bend and although moving slightly slower than sloth, I very nearly trod on it. A quick change of shorts, a dab of lube and I was back on my way. 10k and masive heat exhaustion later I was meandering up a flight of stairs to the dragons back on the Hong Kong trail and nearly trod a grey one (scientific name). I didn't have another change of shorts in my bag so once I had climbed down from the tree I found myself in, it was a quick dab of body glide and on my way again.

Anyway, apart from snakes and humidity it was a fairly strong week of training:
Monday- 7 miles
Tuesday- 7Miles
Wednesday- Gym Bike 35k
Thursday- rest
Friday- Gym Bike 10 x 1 minute full effortm 1 minute rest, plus 10 minutes hard either side
Saturday- Run 2.45
Sunday- Run 4.45, a change of shorts and 2 snakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment